This week’s guest spent 22 years with the Boeing Company then in 2002, Andrew McDowell began his journey into entrepreneurship when he was asked to develop an Airspace Design Consulting business from scratch that would serve the global government market. Andy has worked on high-profile projects, such as preparing the Beijing and Sochi Airports for their respective Olympic Games. He joins Nana on Build Value By Choice to discuss how to become a leader and how to lead.
- Andy’s definition of leadership is – The ability to lead yourself or a group of people from one place to another by the creation of culture and an environment that provides emotional safety to bring out the best in people.
- A good leader recognizes the skills and talents of the team and what they bring to the table. They also have the ability to inspire and draw upon those skills and talents to move towards the ultimate goal of the team.
- As an owner you can actually help your team leaders create the right environment to create a good working culture of emotional safety. They require your support.
- As a leader you have to be respectful enough to listen to ideas presented to you, you don’t have to agree with what they say, but ultimately trust is developed when people are listened to.
- To regain trust if it has been broken you have to start from a place of respect and understanding. A good leader has empathy and if something is out of your control then explain that to them and work out how you’re both going to move forward. Have their best interests at heart and look for the win-win scenario.
‘Someone who doesn’t have the natural leadership talent can get there in the end, it’ll just take a little longer’
‘Culture eats strategy for lunch’
‘Emotional intelligence is a muscle, what are you doing to practice it’
Leave your comments on the show’s facebook community page: https://www.facebook.com/Buildvaluebychoice
Get your free valuation here: https://bit.ly/get-free-valuation
Get a 5-phase checklist to help scale your business. https://bit.ly/Business-ScaleUp-Checklist
Podcast website: https://https://infhorizons.com/podcast/
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and share it.
ABOUT THE GUEST
Andy is an engineer by trade and creative by nature. He spent 22 years with the Boeing Company, where he always felt more like a life coach than a boss. In 2002, he began his journey into entrepreneurship within a Corporation when he was asked to develop an Airspace Design Consulting business from scratch that would serve the global government market. Andy has a Bachelor’s Degree from Georgia Tech in Electrical Engineering and a Master’s Degree in Computer Information Systems from Georgia State. Naturally, his aviation work took him around the world and enabled him to work on high-profile projects – such as preparing the Beijing and Sochi Airports for their respective Olympic Games.
Hosted by Nana Bonsu of Infinite Horizons, this show aims to serve small business owners who want to grow their businesses while reducing their own personal involvement. We do this through a combination of interviews with industry leaders, and host presentations. We are certified value builder advisors and leverage a statistically proven methodology to help clients such as you scale or transition their business to the next chapter.
We care for our listeners and see their dreams as our own. We aim to foster a community that embraces freedom, generosity, and integrity. This is a show by entrepreneurs and business owners for entrepreneurs and business owners.
ABOUT THE HOST
“I am an entrepreneur and ex-Corporate Executive who’s applying his experience and knowledge from working in various ways to pursue my passion of helping small business owners increase their choices in life by leveraging my knowledge and experience, their employees, systems and money. I help small business owners transform their business and increase value through action-oriented education and implementation of strategies and tactics to make their business sellable even if they are not planning on selling. Known for establishing an environment for personal growth and development. My multicultural background equips me with the intuitive understanding of different cultures and how they impact business owners.”
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.